Inn At The Pass
The INN at the PASS
Located at 125 East Scenic Drive. The INN at the PASS was built in 1885 by Catherine and Nicholas Butchert. The Butcherts were not husband and wife, but were instead aunt and nephew. They were prominent in the business community of Pass Christian from the late 1860s until they both died in the early 1890s. The cottage was one of the first houses in the Pass to have running water inside the house, and was supplied from an artesian well that was located just across Scenic Drive towards the beach. The Butchert family fondly referred to their home as the "Artesian Cottage". Nicholas was a member of the Pass Christian city council at the time of building the Artesian Cottage. Following the deaths of Nicholas and Catherine, Catherine's son, John N. Butchert, took possession of the dwelling. He was also an alderman for the city council from 1892 to 1895, dying in his early 30s in 1902, and left no heirs. The Butcherts are buried in the St. Paul Catholic cemetery.
Following the death of John Butchert, the Artesian Cottage was acquired by E.J. Adam, Sr. the Editor of the Coast Beacon, which was the primary newspaper for west Harrison County. The Coast Beacon office was located immediately next door to the house, and had been rented from the Butchert's by Mr. Adam from 1895 until he bought that property also.
E.J. Adam, Sr. owned the house until his death in 1942 and his widow remained there until her death in 1954. During his ownership of the house, E.J. Adam was the Mayor of Pass Christian for several terms, and was later, the president of the Board of Supervisors of Harrison County for many years.
His son, Bidwell Adam, was Lt. Governor of the state of Mississippi in the 1920s, and his other son, E.J., Jr., was an alderman and city attorney for the Pass. E.J. Adam, Jr's son, Warren Adam, kept residency in the house until 1980, when after 76 years, it passed out of the Adam Family ownership.
In 1994, the house was acquired by a Texas corporation under the direction of Vernon and Brenda Harrison. The house had been protected under the ownership of two different prior owners between 1980 and 1994, however, the house was not refurbished until the Harrison's took charge. The second story roof had been blown off during Hurricane Camille in 1969, and was replaced with a flat roof. The Harrison's restored the historic house to the beautiful home that it is today. Painstakingly, the interior was completely reconditioned as well as having the "Eastlake" gallery millwork renovated.
The INN at the PASS was opened as a Bed & Breakfast in January of 1995. The Inn kept alive the tradition of "Houses and Inns" operating in the Pass from its earliest beginning in the 1830s. At various times there were the Mansion House, the Sans Souci, the St. Nicholas House, the Napoleon Hotel, as well as many other boarding houses and private homes accommodating guests. The INN at the PASS will be remembered, not only for being a "noted home," but also as an elegant monument to the rich tradition in the Pass for southern hospitality to the visitors that have flocked to the Pass and the coast through the years.
The B&B has a wide front porch furnished in wicker furniture, invites you to enjoy the view of the Mississippi Sound and the lovely sailboats, or you can just sit and dream about yesterday, today and tomorrow. There are five rooms furnished completely with period antiques and original art works. There is also a cottage out-back, with its own kitchenette for family accommodations. In the mornings, a full and robust Southern breakfast is served to delight the palates of it's guests. The INN at the PASS is listed in the National Historic Register and also in Fodor's Best Bed and Breakfasts in the SOUTH.
Comments by leading citizen John H. Lang in his book of 1930
Fire and "Fire Water"
"There had been a fire in the block now occupied by the Catholic Church, when seven or eight buildings, including the church, had been burned by an incendiary.
After the fire, Nicholas Butchert, bought a lot, adjoining what was the Exchange Building. He employed a half-breed Indian/Negro, named Narceise, to plow the ground upon which to grow vegetables. One day, while plowing, he struck an old earthen pot containing quite a sum of gold and silver coins. He took the pot in his arms and at once proceeded to Butchert's place of business and turned the contents over to Butchert, who immediately counted the coins and equally divided the number with Narceise. However, he kept the gold half and gave the silver to Narceise.
Like all Indians, Narceise was fond of his liquor and proceeded to have a general good time. He would have a dance at his house every night for quite a spell, and would shout, "Dance, my children, dance! Papa got plenty money!" The silver coins soon disappeared, but he began producing gold coins instead. So it appeared, that he had made a division even before going to Butchert. Therefore, no one ever knew the total amount of money that was found in this old earthen jar."
The Inn was destroyed by Hurricane Katrina.